Friday, October 22, 2010
Interview with Dale Mayer, Finalist in the Kensington Brava Contest
Please give a great big M & M welcome for my friend and fellow author, Dale Mayer, who is trolling for votes. Since getting published is hard enough and we can use all the help we can get, I talked her into coming on the blog today to ask for votes. She's a finalist in the Kensington Brava Writing contest, and the winner gets a contract. Woo hoo. Here's the blurb for TUESDAY'S CHILD, a wonderful RS.
SAMANTHA BLAIR, a psychic with a terrible gift, is forced to work with Detective BRANDT SUTHERLAND, a cop on the hunt for a serial killer, in order to save not only her sanity but also the women falling victim to an unusual killer preying on their small town.
When she asked what kind of blog I wanted her to do, knowing her sense of humor,I immediately thought of a top ten list since y'all know how much I love those. So without further ado, here's her top ten list for why you should vote for her. Take it away, Dale.
Hi everyone! My name is Dale Mayer and I live in beautiful Kelowna, BC, Canada. I am multi-pubbed in nonfiction, but my passion is the stories that weave through my mind. For the past nine years, I’ve written around the daily responsibilities of being a single mother of four to produce new stories each year. I write both adult and young adult fiction focusing on taut psychological suspense with romance and paranormal elements.
Thanks so much for the opportunity to visit today.
I am thrilled to be one of the ten finalists in the Brava Writing With The Stars Contest. It’s been a very empowering experience. The editors at Kensington picked the ten finalists from the large pool of entries and that alone means that my manuscript is good enough to attract the attention of the people that count. Even better, the winner of the contest receives a publishing contract!
However to actually win this contest I have to have voters – you!
But considering that all ten of the finalists are good writers, have worked hard to get here, and all want to win - why should you vote for me?
That’s where the trouble writing this blog started. You’d think being a writer would make it easy to think up things. But in my books, it’s my characters who speak. Then again, why wouldn’t that work here? I am a character in my own world.
Therefore I’ll let one of my alter egos speak today – the comic!
She came up with ten tongue-in-cheek reasons why you should vote for me:
10. I’m a blonde – everyone knows we need help to accomplish the most basic things - like win!
9. I’m short – and could use a hand up!
8. I’m hindered by having a male name as a romance writer – like really who’d name their daughter Dale?
7. I’m over 40 and have gray hair – but not enough to figure out how to do this on my own – refer to #1 if you’re confused.
6. If you vote for me I can rise above cat lady status to cat lady with a publishing career status and feed my gathering brood of cats.
5. If you are related to me, the never ending flow of cheesecake will stop – unless you vote for me!
4. If you aren’t related to me – there’s not going to be cheesecake either – but if you vote for me I can keep the cheesecake flowing for those that are!
3. If you vote for me I can ditch the day job and go on stage as a stand up comic – NOT!
2. I deserve to win – just listen to all my kids and extended family – they’ll tell you (or they will if they want to stay in my will!)
1. The biggest and the best reason to vote for me? Because TUESDAY'S CHILD is a damn good story and deserves to be turned into a book - Honest!
I’d continue but the next one my alter ego wanted to bring up was that I’m a woman and whoa Nellie, I’m not going to touch that one! No sane woman would.
Thanks, Liz, for the opportunity to be here!
You can vote for Dale by going to http://www.rtbookreviews.com/content/writing-stars-vote-first-paragraph-and-last-line
You can also go find her website at
She's on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/dalemayer or you can follow her on Facebook.